Saturday, June 26, 2010

A weekend on water

I ventured out of my usual environment last week when Chris and I drove to Battery Park Marina in Sandusky Ohio to spend the weekend with a friend, Krazno, and his family (and their fantastic dog) on their sailboat. Chris, who is working for the family this summer, has spent many weekends at The Boat, but this was my first time aboard and the first time in years that I had been on any manner of watercraft. In addition to the 4o-some-footer used as living quarters, the family also owns a few smaller boats, including a Boston Whaler and a Hobie Cat (catamaran).

I was a bit nervous when Krazno asked if I wanted to go for a ride on the Hobie Cat, but the weather was nice and the wind not very strong, so I decided to go for it. The ride was great - probably a bit tame for Krazno's taste, but perfect for my first time out. The best part was using the trapeze, which allows you to literally hang off the side of the boat. A wire comes out from a high point on the mast and hooks onto a harness that you wear. You then lean back off the side of the hull keeping your feet planted on the side. This technique is used practically to balance the force of the wind in the sails, keeping the boat level. It felt amazing to just hang out there with the wind and water in my face.

At night we took the big sailboat across the lake to Put-in-Bay. The ride took about two hours and we all sat on deck and watched the sun set and the stars come out.

Below are some of the shots from the weekend.

Below deck on the sailboat


Sun setting on the ride to Put-in-Bay


Main sail


Chris doing something on the boat - a lot of my weekend was spent trying not to be in the way.




People parasailing on the lake


Lounging on the boat


Spinnaker (aka Spinny) taking a nap on the boat

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You captured the beauty, excitement and restfulness . . . awww Spinny. Looks like a terrific time!

    ReplyDelete