Thursday, August 19, 2010

An Irish Adventure Part IV: The Little Town of Malahide

For the last few days of our trip, we took the Dublin train north to a tiny coastal town called Malahide. The town is mostly residential, an affluent suburb of Dublin, with two main roads that intersect to form a tiny village containing expensive boutiques, restaurants, and a few pubs. The town also contains a yacht club, golf courses and tennis courts. Although I'm not much for fine dining and country clubs, the quiet town was a welcome change from the noise and bustle of Dublin. There were also far fewer American tourists.



We made more than a few visits to Gibney's, one of the local pubs. My drink of choice, since I'm not much of a beer drinker, was a Jameson and ginger. I was particularly entertained by the tiny 6-ounce glass bottle of Shweppes they served it with.


Gibney's owns a nice little wine shop that's connected to the pub. The wine sellers were very knowledgeable and helped me pick out a good bottle of Cabernet.


Despite all the fantastic restaurants that Chris' mother and stepfather took us to, I'd have to say that my favorite meal on the trip was the tea and scones, served at the Grand Hotel where we stayed. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment